If you have bruxism, that means you grind your teeth or clench them regularly. Over time, this can lead to serious problems with your smile’s health and appearance. Fortunately, we can treat bruxism and return your smile to optimal health and function.
Try Our Quiz on Treating Bruxism
- True or False: Stress can lead to teeth grinding.
- True or False: Untreated bruxism can damage teeth.
- True or False: We can use an oral appliance to stop teeth grinding.
- True. Stress is one of the main causes of persistent teeth grinding. Other possible factors behind grinding and clenching can include tooth loss, misalignment, TMJ disorder, and injury to the face or jaw. Patients with the disorder may report toothaches, tooth sensitivity, headaches, and jaw pain. When we perform a diagnosis, we will look for signs of wear and friction to assess the cause and severity of your teeth grinding.
- True. Over time, the constant pressure can wear down tooth enamel or even crack or chip the teeth. The damage increases the risk of tooth decay and infection. The teeth can eventually appear worn down as well, impacting the beauty of your smile. Treating bruxism is essential for maintaining optimal oral health.
- True. An oral appliance will look like a nightguard and be worn as you sleep. The device can reposition the jaw to ease strain on the joints, and also provide a barrier between the upper and lower sets of teeth, preventing further damage to them. We can also address the issue with restorations or even orthodontics. If you have any questions about treating this disorder, or about teeth grinding in general, then contact our team today. We can help you enjoy a comfortable and healthy smile again!
Gateway Dental Group Can Help You Stop Grinding Your Teeth
At Gateway Dental Group, we treat teeth grinding with a custom-made oral appliance. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Burds and his team at Gateway Dental Group, call our office today at (515) 244-9565. Located in Des Moines, IA, we proudly welcome patients from the Des Moines area, and surrounding communities.