As dental professionals, our goal is to help our patients hold on to their natural teeth and enjoy full, beautiful smiles. However, occasionally issues can surface that require a tooth to be removed. In today’s blog, we’re going to discuss when extraction is right for a patient.
Try Our Quiz on Dental Extractions
- True or False: We may remove a cracked tooth.
- True or False: Wisdom teeth often need removal.
- True or False: Extracting a tooth can help alignment.
- True or False: We can replace lost teeth.
- True. A dental fracture can go down the length of the tooth, often ending up below the gum line and exposing sensitive tissue. In some cases, we can use root canal therapy and a custom-made restorations to repair the problem. However, if the damage is severe enough that the tooth is completely compromised, we may instead remove it to prevent infection from spreading to surrounding teeth.
- True. Also known as third molars, these are up to four additional teeth that arrive in a patient’s teens or early 20s. In some cases, this can mean the onset of misalignment, infection, or serious discomfort. However, we can use an extraction to safely and comfortably remove these teeth before they arrive and threaten your smile’s health.
- True. In some cases, correcting your alignment means removing a tooth to make room to repositon the others.
- True. While wisdom teeth don’t require replacement, if we have to remove a tooth due to infection, periodontal disese, or damage, then we may suggest a replacement option. Depending on the health and stability of your smile, we can suggest a dental bridge, partial denture, dental implant, or even a full denture. If you have any questions about the extraction process, please contact our office today.
Gateway Dental Group Can Safely Extract Teeth
At Gateway Dental Group, we can use restorative dentistry to help maintain your smile. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Burds and his team at Gateway Dental Group, call our office today at (515) 244-9565. Located in Des Moines, IA, we proudly welcome patients from the Des Moines area, and surrounding communities.