If you chip a tooth, whether from a sports injury or biting on a hard piece of food, then you should see the dentist. Otherwise, a damaged tooth can lead to serious oral health problems. Fortunately, we can fix a chipped tooth in one visit with dental bonding.
Try Our Quiz on Bonding and Chipped Teeth
- True or False: A damaged tooth needs treatment.
- True or False: We can repair the tooth in one sitting.
- True or False: We can also address advanced damage.
- True. Our teeth are protected by tooth enamel, a strong outer layer that safeguards the sensitive inner tooth structure from harmful bacteria. However, when we chip or fracture a tooth, even if the damage appears minor, then bacteria can reach these inner layers and lead to decay or even infection.
- True. Dental bonding allows the dentist to fix the tooth in a single visit. We begin by cleaning the tooth and possibly etching the surface to help the material adhere to the tooth as it cures. We prep the composite resin and shade it to blend with your tooth. The dentist then applies the material in several layers, sculpting the tooth as the composite resin cures under a light. The procedure is capped off with a polishing. The procedure not only to repairs chipped teeth, but also worn down teeth, permanent teeth stains, and gaps between the teeth as well.
- True. Should you have severe damage or cracked teeth, we may instead place a custom-made dental crown. The restoration covers the tooth’s entire visible portion, addressing a wide array of structural and oral health issues. If you have any questions about bonding or crowns, then contact our team today.
Gateway Dental Group Can Repair Your Smile
At Gateway Dental Group, we can use dental bonding to repair a tooth in one visit. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Burds and his team at Gateway Dental Group, call our office today at (515) 244-9565. Located in Des Moines, IA, we proudly welcome patients from the Des Moines area, and surrounding communities.