Do you often snore? In addition to hurting your significant other’s ability to sleep, this can actually be a warning sign of a serious sleep disorder. To obtain the rest you need, you need to identify to cause of your sleep issues and receive treatment. We can help you stop snoring.
Des Moines, IA Snoring and Sleep Apnea Quiz
1. True or False: Snoring is caused by partially blocked airways.
2. True or False: Patients who snore may be suffering from sleep apnea.
3. True or False: Without treatment, OSA can cause serious complications.
4. True or False: We can treat the issue without surgery.
1. True. When the soft tissue in the back of the throat collapses during sleep, the airways can become partially obstructed. Air must then be forced through when the patient breathes. As this happens, the air vibrates the throat tissue and causes the sound we associate with snoring.
2. True. Snoring can be a warning sign of sleep apnea, or OSA. Sleep apnea happens when the airways are completely blocked. The patient stops breathing and must be woken up to start breathing again, which can happen multiple times a night. Other symptoms include depression, waking up gasping for air, waking up choking, daytime drowsiness, trouble focusing during the day, and irritability.
3. True. OSA can cause high blood pressure in some patients, which can increase the risk of stroke and heart attack.
4. True. In many cases, the patient must simply wear an oral appliance. The device appears similar to a night guard, but is much more complex. When worn, the jaw is moved forward enough to keep the air passages open.
ABOUT YOUR DES MOINES DENTIST
The Gateway Dental Group provides comprehensive dental treatments including general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry. As a member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, Dr. Burds also has extensive experience helping his patients suffering from sleep disorders obtain restful sleep via oral appliance therapy. You can contact Dr. Stephen J. Burds office at 515-442-5659. We welcome patients from River Bend, Kirkwood Glen, East Village, and neighboring communities.