Art is a soothing balm for the soul, especially during the winter months when all is brown and gloomy. Des Moines Art Center works to engage local and international audiences by offering a diverse array of programs and collections. If you enjoy art, or are looking to broaden your interests, your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Stephen Burds, suggests visiting the Des Moines Art Center.
What: Des Moines Art Center
Where: 4700 Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa
When: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 11AM to 4PM; Thursday 11AM to 9PM; Saturday 10AM to 4PM; Sunday 12PM to 4PM
Located in the heart of the Midwest, the Des Moines Art Center is recognized internationally as a world-class museum. Emphasizing contemporary art of the 19th and 20th century, their collection includes works by:
- Edward Hopper
- Jasper Johns
- Henri Matisse
- Georgia O’Keeffe
- Francis Bacon
The three major buildings that house the art were each designed by a world-renowned, 20th century architect: Eliel Saarinen, I. M. Pei, and Richard Meier. Each building represents a different style and period of modern architecture. The first building to be built was Saarinen’s original Lannon stone building. In 1968, Pei’s bushhammered concrete building was added, and in 1985 Meier’s addition of the three-part clad porcelain and granite building.
Present exhibits include:
- From Icon To Abstraction: Goncharova, Kruchenykh ± Rozanova and The Great War
- 15 Minute in Des Moines
- Haston & Warhol: Silver & Suede
- Iowa Artists 2014 Mitchell Squire: I Like It Here!
Upcoming exhibits include:
- Field, Road, Cloud: Art and Africa from February 13th to April 19th 2015
- Departure of the Argonaut: Prints by Francesco Clemente from February 27th to May 17th 2015
- Single-channel 5: Dance (part 2) from February 20th to June 15th 2015
- Fiber: Sculpture 1960-present from May 8th to August 2nd 2015
About your Des Moines Dentist
Contact your Des Moines dentist by calling Gateway Dental Group at (515) 244-9565. We welcome patients from River Bend, Kirkwood Glen, East Village, and neighboring communities.