Few things send a chill up the spine like the words “root canal”. Unfortunately, wild rumors have given this safe and comfortable procedure a bad reputation. In fact, endodontic treatment helps protect and preserve your smile. In today’s blog, your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Stephen Burds, uses a fun and informative quiz to discuss the importance of root canal therapy.
Des Moines Root Canal Quiz
1. True or False: Multiple factors can lead to an infected tooth.
2. True or False: Chronic toothaches are often signs of an abscessed or infected tooth.
3. True or False: Root canal therapy allows Dr. Burds to address infected teeth.
4. True or False: Following the procedure, your tooth will be restored with a crown.
1. True. Trauma and poor oral hygiene are both factors that allow bacteria to bypass the tooth’s layer of protective enamel. Soon, decay develops. Without treatment, cavities can spread, reaching the inner pulp and causing a painful infection. Over time, the infection may kill the tooth, requiring immediate extraction to prevent the spread of infection to other teeth.
2. True. Other symptoms of a dental infection or abscesses include tooth sensitivity, bad breath, a foul tasting discharge, fever, and sharp pain when biting down or chewing.
3. True. First, Dr. Burds will open the tooth and remove the infected tissue. He will then disinfect the root canals and fill the tooth will special restorative materials.
4. True. After filling the tooth, a custom-made crown will be placed over the tooth. The crown preserves the remaining tooth structure and prevents further infection or decay, safeguarding your smile.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Des Moines Dentist
Do you suffer from chronic toothaches or tooth sensitivity? Then talk to your Des Moines dentist today. Dr. Burds will diagnose the cause of your dental discomfort and recommend treatment, including fillings or potentially, root canal therapy. To schedule an appointment, contact our 50309 dentist office by calling (515) 344-4131 today. We proudly serve patients from River Bend, Kirkwood Glen, East Village, and neighboring communities.