If you have missing teeth due to facial injury, periodontal disease, or any other condition, Dr. Stephen Burds can restore your smile with bridges, implants, or dentures. Replacing your missing teeth is important to keep your smile full, healthy, and functional. Answer the following questions to determine why you want to replace your missing teeth.
1. What daily activities are more difficult with missing teeth?
c. Cleaning (teeth)
d. All of the above
2. How do you feel about your missing teeth?
d. Pretty comfortable
3. How do other people react when you smile?
a. They try not to stare at the spaces in your smile.
b. They blatantly stare at the spaces in your smile.
c. You don’t smile.
4. What’s important to you in tooth replacement?
a. Natural look
b. Stability and function
Answers and Explanations
1. If you’re missing front teeth, you may find biting and tearing food more tedious. If you’re missing back teeth, chewing properly can also be difficult. Furthermore, your tongue hits different teeth and areas in your mouth to form sounds when you speak. If no tooth is there to produce a sound, you may develop a speech disorder. You may also find it more difficult to thoroughly clean your mouth because the spaces between teeth are uneven.
2. There is no right answer to this question, but most people are not comfortable with their missing teeth. About 74% of women and 57% of men admit they would be embarrassed by a missing tooth. The way your smile looks has a big impact on your overall appearance, and missing teeth can make your smile look less attractive. If you don’t restore the space from a lost tooth, surrounding teeth can shift and cause pain, misalignments, and discomfort.
3. Most first impressions involve smiles, and other people notice when yours has empty spaces. When you restore your smile, you will feel more confident and successful talking to other people.
4. All of Dr. Burds’ tooth replacement methods can improve your oral function and appearance. Implants, bridges, and dentures can be custom-designed to fit your mouth comfortably and securely so you can eat, speak, and function normally. These dental prosthetics are also crafted to mimic natural teeth.
If you would like to learn more about our replacement teeth, contact Dr. Burds at Gateway Dental Group at (515) 244-9565 to request a consultation. We welcome patients from River Bend, Kirkwood Glen, East Village, and neighboring communities.